Daily Calorie/Energy Requirement
Your daily energy/calorie requirements is the amount of calories your body needs after taking into account your BMR* and how much exercise you do.
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge calculator uses the information you’ve provided in your profile to first work out your BMR and then your daily energy/calorie requirements, considering your current activity levels and personal statistics.
This figure is listed at the top of the “Your Challenge Plan” page and is used to then work out what your daily target calories should be, to reach your goal weight in a healthy timeframe.
*What does BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) mean
- Your BMR is the number of calories you’d burn if you stayed in bed all day.
- You use energy no matter what you’re doing, even when sleeping.
- Your BMR decreases as you age so it becomes harder to stay slim as you get older.
- Likewise, depriving yourself of food in the hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR which is a trap many people fall into.
- However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise, muscle building exercises and metabolism boosting foods can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body’s ability to burn energy gradually slows down.
- Please note that you must never eat below your BMR calories every day otherwise you can send your body into starvation mode